Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Spring Crafts

I've been working on projects here and there but haven't documented it yet.  Something about spring makes me want to do crafts and sew.  Okay, okay, really I like that stuff all year long.

I've seen star burst mirrors and clocks pop-up a lot recently.  Although mirrors would have been fun and bright the store didn't have the right size when I went so I decided cork boards would be cool and a little different.  I had fun making the star burst frame, the hardest part was finding a round frame.  Inspired by Chris (she's good with wire) I decided to make a wire frame for the other message board.  You can stick messages in the loops, like a paper clip.  I have a vintage (I think?) embroidery hoop hanging up too--I still need to make something to hang in it.  Working on it.

Thanks to the moss next to our house I decided to make a little moss terrarium.  If I run across any more cool jars I'm going to make a few more.  Corey doesn't have the same enthusiasm for moss as I do--but he lets me do weird things like this.  I've made them before but this time I bought some activated carbon (buy it near the pet stuff) so it won't mold or smell icky.
I've also been making some little shirts.  Most of Noelle's shirts now have a lovely grey dirt smudge thanks to her love of cruising the kitchen floor, so I wanted to make her a few new ones.  I found this sweet bag of 90's knit bias tape at D.I. and I thought it would jazz up a onezie-type top.   There was tons of it--I might have to go back and get a few more rolls of it.  They are pretty quick to put together (especially if you use existing hems), I'm going to be making a few more I think.  Here's the first one I made with the bias tape and an old pj shirt:

3 comments:

  1. Hey looks good! Do you remember talking about blending moss with milk and then throwing it over stuff and it grows like crazy? ... We still need to try that :)
    I also like the new Noelle shirts. I found this blog that I think you are going to like. Lots of cute FREE patterns for little girls and even mom's too! I have some big plans this summer to make a couple of the skirts and dresses on here!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen a moss jar before, but now that I have, I think it is one of the neatest things ever! Does the moss grow? The jar is pretty cool too.

    I also love the binding on Noelle's shirt. Nice stash find. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris--I was totally thinking about blending the moss, but due to my small jar I think I will have to try it another time for sure. What's the blog called? Cool, I want to see your creations! Is the fam planing any summer outings this year? Where are you living this summer?

    Marsha--the moss does grow, just really slowly. You just need to add a little water when it dries out, otherwise it's a little ecosystem that takes care of itself with sunlight and the recycled water that condenses on the glass. If you have an airtight jar you might want to open it every so often to refresh the air in there.

    ReplyDelete

Howdy!